Book Call Email

The Badiola, Romanic church

It is in front of us and it devotes to us its beauty every moment; it is linearity in shape and intensity in contents, pure stone essence, the background between the blue sky and the water of our pool.

On the hill facing Capovento there is “la Badiola”, small Romanic church with a thousand years of history, where time has really stopped and all the land around moves silently. 

The view from there is something unique and it is right here that Stella and I got married.

A thousand years of history few steps from home…

The choice we made to promise eternal love to each other’s there was not casual. The sacredness of this structure, bare and poor at the first impact, is stuck inside its ancient story.

The Chiesa di Santa Maria in Colle – also known as “Badiola” – dates back to Middle Ages. According to some sources, the female monastery, called “Badiola”, was built in 1089, but the first evidence placed it in 1187. The small convent belonged to the Lords of Trebbio, feudal lords of Guidi family.

From the second half of the XIII century, the Badiola became one of the suffragan of the San Giusto in Salcio church. From that time, its vicissitudes reach us occasionally, as the church tries to preserve its identity, away from the influences of History. For sure, we know it played a fundamental role since 13th century: the Lega del Chianti reports that in this place the market used to be held.

Today the complex is private property, but its charm does not go unnoticed. 

Wonderful Romanic architecture

The Badiola as we can admire it nowadays, lying on the Chianti hills, has been rearranged on various occasions: its architectural structure is not immune to the passing of the centuries. Its charm, however, does not seem to be touched by time, maintaining the authenticity in shapes and meaning.

Only the left side of the original church still stands, with the central nave and the left aisle. As we can guess from the perimeter walls, indeed, the convent was designed to have three naves, separated from arches. The apse has been reassembled in the external part, as the facade has been probably modified more than once throughout the centuries. In effect, there is no trace of the right aisle, but we can guess its presence from the perimeter wall arising from the ground. Always in a second step, a small bell-tower was built on the right side of the complex.

As you move a few steps away from the Badiola, in order to have an overall view, you immediately understand how time and all the operations of men increased – if possible – the true Beauty of the ancient female monastery.

Check availability and book

Hear what our guests say

“The owners are really a lovely couple, so attentive to everything and ready to help with anything."

Davide – Booking.com

Discovering Villa di Capovento